7 Ways to Keep Fido Safe on the Road
Even though The PARC is the perfect staycation for a pet when the rest of the family hits the road, we get there’s more fun to be had with Fido in tow.
Follow these tips to ensure a safe and comfortable car ride for your pets.
- Never ever leave your pet unattended in the car.
- Crates are great and keep pets safely restrained. Secure the crate with a seatbelt or other harness so that it doesn’t shift or tumble during an abrupt stop. Make sure the crate is well ventilated! The crate should be large enough for your pet to stand up and stretch out a little.
- Click it or ticket! If travelling in a crate isn’t an option, a pet should be restrained using a seatbelt or harness. There are several great options on the market. Free roaming pets can easily distract you, obstruct the view, or even get tangled in the gas or brake pedals.
- No shotgun! Airbags are meant to deploy and protect a human occupant but could do great harm to a pet.
- Pack for your pooch. Make sure you bring plenty of food, water, a familiar blanket or toy, a secure harness and leash, and medical records – especially proof of rabies vaccine.
- Make sure people can get ahold of you if your pet gets lost far from home. All pets should always have current ID on them, tags and a microchip, with up-to-date information including whom to contact in case of emergency.
- Some pets like the vacation but hate the road trip getting there. We’ve had great success with anti-anxiety and anti-nausea medications that are highly effective and safe. Our vets at The PARC will partner with you on a good plan to ensure safe and happy travels.